Programs and Events
In the Gallery
The library gallery features works by area artists in month-long
exhibits, which showcase the talents of several local
artists' organizations and a variety of one-person
showings. Located in the central lobby directly across
from the Circulation Desk, the attractive gallery provides
a casual and easily accessible venue for our patrons.
September: Cynthia J. Lee: Abstract Expressions
(on display through October 2)
About Cynthia J. Lee
Featured: Opportunity (detail)
Meet the Artist
Join Cynthia J.
Lee for an informal afternoon in the Gallery.
Sunday, Sept. 29, 2:00 – 3:00 p.m.
• Straddles two centuries
• Has roots in New England and the Midwest
• Left her small town for the city as soon as she could
• Has a master’s degree in social policy from the University of Chicago
• Is a self-taught artist
• Likes to travel between the left and right sides of her brain
• Loves color and texture in art, nature, music
• Wishes she could eat everything she likes and stay thin
• Swims to restore soul and body
• Is passionately interested in the sciences
• Watches a lot of documentaries and foreign films
• Despite seven years of voice lessons, sings (and dances) only in her studio
• Worked for two state bureaucracies, an academic think tank, three marketing firms
• Deeply appreciates all of her senses, especially humor
• Has written plays and published poetry
• Served on the boards of a medical center and a school district
• Now has her art in 14 states and two foreign countries
• Is thrilled to have arrived in abstract art, where all parts of her life are home
I am fascinated by patterns, whether found in nature or constructed by humans. Most recently, I am drawn to edges where boundaries blur. Energy and possibility resonate for me in this tension between form and formless. Hard lines and geometric shapes become less focused. Patterns may emerge or retreat into shadows. By building layers of paint over a foundation of paper, text, and images, I try to convey the complexities, which remain just outside our awareness. Order and chaos co-exist in this creative world, as they do in life. Our fast-paced, high-tech lives are bombarded with information from all corners of the globe. It often is hard to stay connected to our inner selves, to our natural environment, and to each other. My art allows me to find these connections once more.
This is my second solo show. I’ve been in many juried shows over the past decade, including Six Women: The Fine Art of Collage, Mill Atelier Gallery, Santa Fe, NM; Art in Motion: Art Futura 2013, Chicago; Off Balance-Balance, Zhou B. Art Center, Chicago. I have received numerous awards and exhibit often across the Chicago region. Learn more on my website: www.cynthiajlee.com.