Mission & Policies
The library has a Mission Statement that describes our
purpose, reflects the roles we consider vital, and serves
as a basis for what we do. It was adopted in 2012 following
extensive evaluation and long-range planning.
The Mission of the Downers Grove Public Library is to serve the people of Downers Grove in the realms of information, education, inspiration, and entertainment. By providing ready access to books and other materials, public programs, and information technology, all supported by staff expertise, the library freely extends to all the opportunity to learn, grow, and thrive.
Ongoing Strategies (Doing and should continue)
- Maintain a strong focus on books and reading and associated services.
Potential activities: Continue to purchase in many print and digital formats, advise readers, and provide broad informational resources and expertise.
- Support early/emergent literacy.
Potential activities: Purchase children’s print and digital books, provide story times and other learning opportunities, and structure child-appropriate technology to support literacy.
- Actively investigate community needs and develop and promote relevant service responses.
Potential activities: Discussion with customers and other community members, visits to organizations, improvement of web, social media, and print communications.
Strategic Initiatives (Should develop and emphasize)
- Embrace technological and marketplace change.
Potential activities: Invest in eBook content, support mobile device use.
- Make the Library building, its contents, and its activities an attractive destination.
Potential activities: Create an attractive Teen Space/Media Workshop, refresh worn building elements and furnishings.
- Establish a significant presence outside the walls, working with schools, businesses, local government, community groups, churches, youth-serving and senior-serving organizations, and others.
Potential activities: Develop outreach to preschools and day care providers, participate actively in Chamber, Downtown group, Economic Development Corporation.
- Increase overall organizational effectiveness.
Potential activities: Adopt Radio Frequency ID inventory handling technology, automate office and support functions, use available technological tools, refine and extend financial management.
View the Strategic Plan in its entirety as well as a timeline of events, and check back here often for up-to-date progress reports. To comment on these ideas, email us.