Facts & Figures
The Downers Grove Public Library serves the information needs of the 47,833 residents of Downers Grove, Illinois. With almost 30,000 residents as library cardholders, our community really uses the library. In fact, last year, Downers Grove residents checked out an average of 20 items per person! Here are some significant numbers from the 2013 fiscal year:
|Number of visitors||499,820|
|Computer user sessions||108,962|
|Reference questions answered||70,753|
|New library patrons registered||2,251|
|Summer Reading Club participants
|Attendance at library programs||31,177|
The Ladies Library Association began a small reading room above the Farmers and Merchants Bank on the northeast corner of Main and Curtiss. In 1895, it held 600-700 volumes.
Following a successful referendum for a tax-supported library, a small frame building on the southwest corner of Main and Curtiss became the library's second home. Circulation in November of 1912 was 1,520.
With financial help from the Carnegie Foundation, a new brick building on the corner of Forest and Curtiss opened its doors. Total cost: $11,250.
To accommodate heavy usage by a booming population, a ‘wrap-around' addition expanded the Carnegie building. Again, usage grew.
Following a 1975 referendum, the old library building was razed and the collection moved to temporary quarters just east of the library. In the fall of 1977, a new 40,000 square foot building opened. In 1983, the second floor was redesigned, and the Reference Department moved upstairs.
In 1996, residents approved an $8.2 million referendum to reconstruct and update the library by adding an addition. The new 67,738 square foot building opened in February, 1999.
A Strategic Plan was announced in 2012 that included a building renovation scheduled for 2014. The $2.4 million renovation plans called for more study spaces, upgraded technology, improved WiFi, enhanced display of items, and a cafe space that welcomes food and drink. Construction is now complete!